Business lesson from a puppy?…. Ok, it might be a little tongue in cheek, but as I’ve observed my pup navigate her way through her early days in our household, I’ve come to see how her surprisingly simple approaches work – and they have led me to re-structure some of the ways I work in my business!
First, meet Ellie – she’s a VERY focussed, 8 month old German Short-Haired Pointer puppy.
She demonstrates daily how life and business can be so much simpler with some clear rules that set you up for success:
- Be very clear about what you want, and stay committed until you get it! Ever heard the phrase “Like a dog with a bone….?” When Ellie wants something, trust me, its made VERY clear – and she doesn’t give up until she gets it. I witness daily, the power of clarity and persistence.
- Be resourceful and creative to help you achieve what you desire. If the first way doesn’t lead you to what you want, try something different. There’s more than one way to create the outcome you want. And when you want to go for a walk, if the cute puppy-eyes, don’t do it, then barking or acrobatics and jumping will usually get the message across.
- Structure and routines are best for happiness and results. I can set my clocks by the time she heads to her bed each night – and when she thinks its time for others in the house to be up and about in the morning. It’s good to know what’s happening when..at least most of the time, with a little variety and surprise to keep things exciting!
- Be responsive and “efficient”. Reactions are always better when the result or outcome is delivered quickly – ideally on the first time of asking! That “come when called” practice is definitely work in progress for Ellie, but I think you’ll get the essence of what I mean…enquiries, requests…how can you delight by delivering with something better or faster than expected?
- Finally, Work and Play…there is a rhythm to life that demands BOTH, and it’s never been more apparent to me than raising my pup – how much she puts into her “work” of walks, sniffing, exploring, retrieving…and then, she RESTS…fully and completely before have a heap more fun!. She restores and rejuvenates herself before the next bout of activity or busyness. This is powerful. Sleep is especially essential.
So while it might seem a little “light hearted” there are some powerful messages to be learned from a pup! She models every day how simplicity and focus create happiness and results!
Dawn Grossart is an FCIM, (Fellow of Chartered Institute of Marketing) Chartered Marketer and Certified Transformational Life Coach helping professional women and entrepreneurs create a calm, confident life and business they love.